The Cholesterol Conundrum

You might have heard that cholesterol is “bad”, but guess what? Everything is not black and white on health, and people do need cholesterol. But, how much? Which kind? These 10 tips will help you know:

  1. Cholesterol is essential for your life. 20% comes from your diet, and your body produces the remaining 80%.
  2. “Eliminating” cholesterol from your diet just means your body is going to try to produce 100% of the cholesterol needed and that causes drastic health issues.
  3. Cholesterol is carried out through our blood stream encapsulated on lipoproteins.
  4. Triglycerides are fat, plain and simple. We obtain them from our diet.
  5. We need triglycerides because:
    • They enable the bidirectional transference of adipose fat and blood glucose from the liver.
    • They are a major component of human skin oils, called sebum, which lubricate our body and hair, and also makes water and other components not absorb it (think of shampoo+shower water, for example)
  6. Those triglycerides have to be present on a proper amount and if they are high, it becomes a health risk. That also occurs if they are low. There needs to be a balance.
  7. LDL is known as the bad cholesterol and HDL as the good cholesterol. However, LDL also needs to be present, albeit in a proper amount.
  8. HDL is the go-between from VLDL and LDL, which keeps the system balanced and all the processes that involve them, running smoothly.
  9. When eating a lot and not exercising, fat storage on our bodies grows rapidly. The fat excess triggers a raise on LDL and it becomes a health risk.
  10. A balanced diet, exercise and proper medication can help you get rid of the effects of high cholesterol and triglycerides.

Related Articles

en_USEnglish
en_USEnglish